Amazingly Good Homemade Eggnog
Eggnog is one of my favorite indulgences this time of year and though store-bought eggnog is good, there is nothing quite like this homemade eggnog. Thick and creamy with the perfect mild flavor and a hint of nutmeg. This homemade eggnog recipe is utter bliss!
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ground cinnamon , for topping
- Whisk the egg yolks and sugar together until light and creamy.
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the cream, milk, nutmeg and salt. Stir frequently until mixture reaches a bare simmer.
- Add a large spoonful of the hot milk to the egg mixture, whisking vigorously. Repeat, adding a large spoonful at a time, to temper the eggs.
- Once most of the hot milk has been added to the eggs, pour the mixture back into the saucepan. Whisk constantly for just a few minutes, until the mixture is just slightly thickened (it will thicken more as it cools).
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Pour the eggnog through a fine mesh strainer into a pitcher or other container and cover with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate until chilled. It will thicken as it cools. For a thinner, completely smooth consistency, you can add the entire mixture to a blender with one or two tablespoons of milk and blend until smooth.
- Serve with a dash of cinnamon or nutmeg, and fresh whipped cream, if desired.
- Store homemade eggnog in the fridge for up to one week.